Friday, May 16, 2008

What Could have Been

I feel the need to depart from weird news and nature pictures for a post that is more meditative. This poem is by W. H. Auden and I discovered it in the book "Rumours of Another World" by Philip Yancey. At this stage of my life, Philip Yancey is my favorite author. His book "What's so Amazing about Grace?" pulled me in emotionally more than any I have read in....maybe ever. I am tempted to write a dissertation about what this poem means to me, but will instead just post it and allow you to decide how deeply you think about it.

God may reduce you
on Judgement Day
To tears of shame,
reciting by heart
The poems you would
have written, had
Your life been good.

2 comments:

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

I'm going to have to think on this one for a while!!!

Kat said...

Wow!!!!!
That is one seriously powerful poem. Seriously!
That will change how you look at your life.
Kinda takes my breath away.