Sunday, July 01, 2007

"To Do" Lists

Do you use "To Do" lists? Most busy, successful people do. Management gurus endorse it. Does utilizing a "to do" list help you to be organized and get more done? Does it help you prioritize the events of your day? An idea from the book "Good to Great" that is connected to "to do" list is a "stop doing" list. Have you ever heard of a "stop doing" list? In the context of this particular book, the idea is for companies to "stop doing" things that are not related to their core competencies so that they can focus energy and resources on those things they do best or could be the best in the world at. On a personal level, the idea of a "stop doing" list seems to relate to Hebrews 12:1--"let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us." The idea that not only sin, but also good works can become a weight that prevents me from running the race I am supposed to be running reminds me that I need a daily "stop doing" list as much as a "to do" list. Agree or disagree?

2 comments:

Lerra said...

I love to make lists. I am definitely more efficient if I have one. I've never thought about making a "stop doing" list, but it makes sense that it would help me to be more efficient, right? Hmmm...

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

agree....though sometimes i write things down on a list after i have done them just so i can mark them off. what a sick world we live in. ;)